This section of the site includes both Thom Hogan's books on Nikon cameras, software, and photography, but also books that Thom recommends for photographers:
- Thom's books for current Nikon DSLRs
- Thom's books for older Nikon DSLRs
- Thom’s books for mirrorless cameras
- Thom's books for film Nikon SLRs
- Thom's recommended books for photographers
Note that the byThom books have gone through a few transitions over the years:
- 2001: available on a CD as a PDF eBook file with supplemental materials on the CD
- 2008: added short, printed reference guides that came with the ebook CD
- 2009: added a printed option for the ebook
- 2012: began making ebook-only available via instant download
- 2015: transitioned to download only and temporarily removed many older books
Most people don't understand the difference between a physical product (CD) and a download. The former is covered by a legal concept called First Sale. You can treat the CD versions you bought from the byThom sites exactly as you would a real printed book: when you're done with it, you could pass it on to someone else. Thus, those old options for my ebooks ended up having some residual value. You can still sometimes find them on eBay for sale.
Unfortunately, downloads are covered by License Agreement and can't be passed on. I don't like this, but the vast majority of you requested the ability to instantly download, so once I sold all the old physical product is sold, byThom went to "download only." Unfortunately the hassle of creating, storing, and shipping physical product just doesn't work for small quantities.
I understand that there is still demand for printed copies of my books. I’m investigating other possibilities in that regard.
Can I read byThom books on my iPad? Kindle? Nook? Yes. See the book FAQ.