This site covers Canon and Nikon DSLRs and related products and is updated nearly daily. Mirrorless cameras are covered on sansmirror.com, which is also updated nearly daily.
Wednesday — March 25, 2020
Photography in Isolation: Size of Pieces — Tackle smaller parts of bigger projects
Monday — March 23, 2020
Photography in Isolation, Part 2: Organization — I'm going to ask you five simple questions
Monday — March 16, 2020
- Photography in Isolation, Part 1: Goals — Before we start on projects, get your head right
Monday — March 9, 2020
- FOMO Versus FOMS — You're fearing the wrong thing
Thursday — March 5, 2020
- How Do You Launch a Product? — as trade shows shut down for COVID-19, what happens?
Monday — March 2, 2020
- Misconceptions on Camera Communication — yes, we really do need better camera communications
- When Will the Updates Stop? — Wrong question; when will get the right updates?
Tuesday — February 18, 2020
- Photographs have Value — But not if you give them away
Thursday — February 13, 2020
- So What's the Best Sports Camera Now? — The answer shouldn't surprise you
- Canon Rebel 8Ti Specifications — The full data page is now available
Wednesday — February 12, 2020
- Nikon Officially Announces the D6 — It's here, does it have magic?
- Nikon D6 Specifications — The spec page is live
I'm sure I'll have more to say as I get more information and take in all the details.
Tuesday — February 11, 2020
- Introducing New Camera Customers — Canon and Nikon need to pay attention here
Monday — February 10, 2020
- Color Me Confused — How to think rationally about color differences
Tuesday — February 4, 2020
- Tech Transitions Are Tough — How to think rationally about technology transitions
Tuesday — January 28, 2020
I've started a D780 Blog page for things I discover as I begin to write about and review the new Nikon DSLR.
Monday — January 27, 2020
- The DSLR Sweepstakes Game, early 2020 — This year's edition shows some changes
- The D780 Arrived (With a Thud) — It's here, but is it selling?
- My Nikon Proposal Followup — It took me awhile to go through all the reader response
Tuesday — January 14, 2020
- More Ask Thom Questions Answered — 1/4000, Polarizers, XQD, CFexpress
- More on the Nikon D780 — More discussion of the new camera
Thursday — January 9, 2020
- Nikon Announcement Feedback — What I'm hearing about Nikon's new products
Tuesday — January 7, 2020
- The DSLR Cash Cow is Alive For How Long? — Canon and Nikon just tipped their hands
This site has over a thousand pages of useful information about DSLRs, including:
Over 50 thorough and thoughtful reviews of recent Nikon DSLR cameras and lenses by technologist and photographer Thom Hogan.
But there’s much, much more on this site:
- Articles and essays of interest to Canon and Nikon DSLR users
- Camera database with full feature sets of every current and older Nikon DSLR, and most recent Canon DSLRs
- Lens database with full feature sets of every F-mount lens, and recent EF mount lenses
- News and commentary about Canon and Nikon DSLR cameras
- News and commentary about software for photography
- Articles and essays on photography technique
- Thom’s eBooks on Nikon cameras
Don't be fooled by the simple look of this site: it's jam-packed with news, opinions, articles, reviews, information about cameras/lenses/flash/software, and much more.
That menu bar at the top is your guide. Note that all menu items are "containers" with links to help you navigate deeper (e.g. just click the menu heading itself—or maybe a sub-menu—and you'll get all the items below it as links on the page that appears (sometimes at the bottom of the page due to other information on that page). With well over a thousand pages on this site, there really isn't a better solution than a menu system: there's a heck of lot to organize here. Just remember that you can always use the site search options, including the sitemap.
Help me improve this site. If you find incorrect or incomplete information, a misspelled word, or even just something that confuses you a bit, be sure to let me know. Just fill out the form on the Contact page and let me know what you found.